Guy and Hallie are recognized and celebrated by this scholarship for Guy’s substantial contributions in conservation in Allegan County and their enduring love of sixty years.
Guy and Hallie Teed Family Scholarship Fund
Guy Teed was a second generation Teed born in Michigan in 1888. He grew up and lived on the family farm in Salem Township. He earned his first money as a boy showing the family ox team at the Allegan County Fair (which he loved to go to every year). He learned woodworking, horseshoeing and the blacksmiths trade in 1908 -1909. He then decided to seek his fortune “out west” moving as far as Fargo, North Dakota, but after getting homesick for Michigan he returned.
Guy bought his own blacksmith shop in Allegan in 1910 at the age of 22. In 1912 he sold it and went to work for the Allegan City Fire Department. That same year he married the love of his life, Hallie Sprau who was the granddaughter of James S. Burnip of which Burnips Corner is name after. In 1914 Guy bought and operated a blacksmith shop in Fennville until 1928 when he was elected Allegan County Sheriff. Guy served as Sheriff for four years and continued to be active in civil affairs which included: Ward 3 Supervisor, member of the Allegan Charter Commission, and as Justice of the Peace for twelve years. He was appointed during World War II as Allegan County Farm Labor Coordinator assigning German prisoners to work for local farmers.
Guy’s greatest legacy for Allegan and the State of Michigan can be felt through his environmental conservation work. In 1917 he helped in the release of Ringneck Pheasants; in 1920 he organized the Isaac Walton League in Fennville; in 1928 he worked on the restoration of Smith’s Mill Pond on Swan Creek. In 1929 Guy assisted in organizing the Allegan County Conservation League. In 1931 the League purchased 4 deer to start a deer herd in Allegan County. In 1932 Guy brought to attention the polution of the Kalamazoo River and the thousands of fish that were dying. The river was cleaned up and restocked with fish due to Guy’s efforts. In 1933 he recommended the U.S. Government purchase 33,000 acres of submarginal land in Allegan County. This was completed in 1934. In 1940 this land became known as the Allegan County State Game Area. Guy become Director of the Michigan Conservation Club in 1950. He was recognized in 1964 with the MUCC Award of Merit for Outstanding Service for the cause of conservation and clean waters. A 1961 article on conservation by Guy was placed in the cornerstone of the new Allegan County Courthouse.
Guy and Hallie Teed were married for 60 years and had four children, Max, Paula, Dale and Ruth Elaine.
*James Wallace, son of Ruth Elaine, and his wife Yvonne established the Guy and Hallie Teed Family Scholarship in honor of his grandparents, Guy and Hallie Teed.