THE POWER OF YOUTH
The T.A.G (Teens Aiding Growth) Team is the Youth Advisory Council at the Foundation. High School students from all districts in Allegan County are invited to join to represent their peers. They meet around 10 times a year.
In 1994 the W.K. Kellogg Foundation issued a challenge to community foundations throughout Michigan with the goal of engaging youth in philanthropy. The Kellogg Foundation offered to match up to $1,000,000 raised to establish a youth fund. Thanks to the generosity of two Perrigo executives, Mike Jandernoa and Bill Swaney, the funds were secured and the Youth Advisory Council [TAG Team] was born the next year.
Activities of the group include:
· Community Service (visiting and serving community non-profit organizations)
· Recommending annual TAG Grant awards for Board approval (around $55,000 per year)
· Leadership development and team building opportunities (through Council of Michigan Foundations and others)
· Adopt-A-Family at Christmas time from Sylvia’s Place (purchase and wrap gifts for the whole family)
· Review and award TAG Scholarship(s) annually (1-3 students, and amounts vary each year)